[R] homogeneity index

statistical.model@googlemail.com statistical.model at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 29 09:52:35 CET 2006

Hi,
i would like to have an homogeneity index to compare the homogeneity of
matrices like:

     1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12
  1     5 11 12  6 21 14 13  8 15 12 12
  2       12 12  9  8 11 14 15 12 17 18
  3          10 13 18 14 16  9 14  8 12
  4             12 14 11  7 17 12 14  9
  5                11 12 12  9 19 15 13
  6                    9  8 13 12 13  6
  7                      11 15  9 11 16
  8                         15 10 14 14
  9                            15  9 14
  10                               3 12
  11                                 13
  12
These are treatments in a factorial design. My aim is to get a summary index
for the balance property and to compare this score across different
matrices.

I would like to have a pure number in order to get a score non affected by
the number of elements in the matrix and their magnitude. I would like an
index ranging between 0 and 1.
What would you suggest? any index already written in R?

thanks in advance

Roberto Furlan
University of Torino