[R] draft of Comment on UCLA tech report

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Jan 28 03:10:45 CET 2006

Dear Patrick:

	  Thanks for doing this.

	  Just picking nits:  To end the second paragraph in Sec. 2, you say,
"If your goal is to find what is in your data, then almost surely R will
be the best tool for you sooner or later."  I think this is an
overstatement.  R is for people who can't easily get what they want from
standard packages, either because they can't afford it or because they
want to explore data analysis possibilities beyond those offered by the
package(s) available to them.  You clearly paint a more balanced view in
the rest of the manuscript, and apart from this one comment, what you
wrote sounds sensible to me.

	  Best Wishes,
	  Spencer Graves