[R] installation of R on Linux

Daniel Nordlund res90sx5 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 28 03:09:02 CET 2006

R-users,

I am new user of Linux (have been using Win XP Pro) and wanted to install R.  Since I am just beginning to learn Linux I was wondering, where in the directory structure do users of Linux usually install R?  Most of the instructions I have read simply say to untar the tarball where you want to install the program.  Any suggestions would be welcome as to an appropriate place.  I know I could get an rpm, but wanted to use this as a learning process for a variety of skills.  Currently working with SuSE 9.1

Thanks,

Dan Nordlund
Bothell, WA