[R] can I do this with read.table??

Douglas Grove dgrove at fhcrc.org
Thu Jan 26 23:57:17 CET 2006

I did read the help page, very carefully.

The colClasses argument can be used if I want
to stop and look through every data set to see
which column I need to protect.  But that's what I
said that I don't want to do.

As for 'as.is', I wish it did what you suggest, but
it doesn't.  If one reads carefully, as.is protects
a character vector from converstion to a *factor*,
but not from conversion to numeric/logical.

Doug