[R] reducing learning curves?

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Thu Jan 26 14:02:00 CET 2006

Hi

On 26 Jan 2006 at 11:15, Philippe Grosjean wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:15:08 +0100
From:           	Philippe Grosjean <phgrosjean at sciviews.org>
To:             	Michael <comtech.usa at gmail.com>
Copies to:      	R-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject:        	Re: [R] reducing learning curves?

> Michael wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Are there any R addon/pluggins with the following feature:
> >
> > (1) command history? even stores the command history many days ago?
> > Like Matlab does?
>
> See ?history, and also, menu entries File -> Load/Save history... in
> Rgui (you use R under windows, isn't it?). also, if you answer "Yes"
> at the question "Save workspace image?" when you quit R, the history
> of commands is saved and resored next time you start R from the same
> directory.

Beware that .Rhistory file has not unlimited number of commands, you
can see only about 500 lines in default setting, however you can
modify it.

> > (2) online help? for example, as I see it, the Rcmdr is a good
> > companian for a newbie like me who just touched R for 1.5 days. I
> > can use Rcmdr to guide me to learn the commands to use for data
> > analysis. However, Rcmdr does not have online help reference for R
> > commands. For example, I saw the command "abline" and I want to know
> > how to use it, I have to copy/type it in R-console, and do "?abline"
> > things, so that I can obtain help. But this is troublesome, does any
> > editor offer online-help for commands, so I just need to hover my
> > mouse on "abline" and then press F1 key then a help window will open
> > automatically?

Beware of mouse elbow when perusing mouse too much.
If you want interactive help just open HTML help pages with your
favourite browser.

Cheers
Petr

PS. It is good to have a copy of Paul Johnson's Rtips somewhere near
when you start. Basic stuff and howtodo's is covered there.