[R] reducing learning curves?

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Thu Jan 26 11:15:08 CET 2006

Michael wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are there any R addon/pluggins with the following feature:
>
> (1) command history? even stores the command history many days ago? Like
> Matlab does?

See ?history, and also, menu entries File -> Load/Save history... in
Rgui (you use R under windows, isn't it?). also, if you answer "Yes" at
the question "Save workspace image?" when you quit R, the history of
commands is saved and resored next time you start R from the same
directory.

> (2) online help? for example, as I see it, the Rcmdr is a good companian for
> a newbie like me who just touched R for 1.5 days. I can use Rcmdr to guide
> me to learn the commands to use for data analysis. However, Rcmdr does not
> have online help reference for R commands. For example, I saw the command
> "abline" and I want to know how to use it, I have to copy/type it in
> R-console, and do "?abline" things, so that I can obtain help. But this is
> troublesome, does any editor offer online-help for commands, so I just need
> to hover my mouse on "abline" and then press F1 key then a help window will
> open automatically?

Well, it is not much work to type

 > ?abline

However, if you want a button that you can click to do so, then look at
http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R. That editor is definitely for you!
Best,

Philippe Grosjean