[R] R vs. Excel (R-squared)

Nordlund, Dan NordlDJ at dshs.wa.gov
Tue Jan 24 22:50:29 CET 2006

Your model formula, a ~ c - 1, estimates a slope coefficient but removes the
column of 1's which would be used to estimate an intercept term (i.e., you
eliminated the intercept term).  This effectively forces the regression
through the origin.  So yes, you set the intercept to zero.

You stated that "the only point we really know is (0,0)".  The reason I
asked about why you were forcing the regression through the intercept is
that *I* don't know that you know anything about what happens when c=0.  It
is possible that your measurement process, whatever that might be, has a
bias such that a is not equal to 0 when c=0.  Did you actually have any
points where the predicted value was 0?  Just something to think about.

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund
Research and Data Analysis
Olympia, WA  98504-5204