[R] R vs. Excel (R-squared)

Lance Westerhoff lance at quantumbioinc.com
Tue Jan 24 19:48:22 CET 2006

On Jan 24, 2006, at 12:11 PM, Nordlund, Dan wrote:

> Lance,
>
> Did you force the regression through the origin in Excel, like you
> are doing
> with your R code?  And why are you doing the regression without an
> intercept
> in R?
>
> Dan

Hi Dan-

The reason why the intercept is forced to be zero is because I would
like to determine how well my prediction is compared to experiment.
Therefore, the only point we really know is (0,0) - everything else
is conjecture.  Both in the excel case and the R case, the intercept
is forced to be zero.  In terms of your question about the regression
without an intercept in R, I'm not sure what you mean.  Haven't I set
the intercept to be zero?

Thanks!

-Lance