[R] R vs. Excel (R-squared)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Jan 24 18:08:15 CET 2006

Lance Westerhoff <lance at quantumbioinc.com> writes:

> Hello All-
>
> I found an inconsistency between the R-squared reported in Excel vs.
> that in R, and I am wondering which (if any) may be correct and if
> this is a known issue.  While it certainly wouldn't surprise me if
> Excel is just flat out wrong, I just want to make sure since the R-
> squared reported in R seems surprisingly high.  Please let me know if
> this is the wrong list.  Thanks!

Excel is flat out wrong. As the name implies, R-squared values cannot
be less than zero (adjusted R-squared can, but I wouldn't think
that is what Excel does).

R-squared is a bit odd in the zero intercept case because it
describes how much better the line describes data compared to a
horizontal line *at zero*. However, it doesn't really makes sense to
compare with a non-zero constant, because the models are not nested.

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B