[R] fractional factorial design in R

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jan 23 18:08:20 CET 2006

    BertG> I'm not sure what you mean by a "fractional
    BertG> factorial" design here.
			     ^^^^
and Bert was right on target.
Please apologize for the following, which I'm now sure Bert
knows probably much better than me.

    MM> it's a pretty well known term, in (at least some schools of)
    MM> classical analysis of variance, e.g.
    MM> in the famous "Box, Hunter^2" (1987) book which had a 2nd
    MM> edition last year (Wiley), see also Doug Bates's nice account on
    MM> a talk about it,
    MM> http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/29768.html
    MM> and the R package  "BHH2"  which is devoted to the book (2nd Ed).

    MM> BHH2 has a function  ffDesMatrix()  for fractional factorial
    MM> designs, *and* in it's see also section a link to the
    MM> conf.design() function in the package of the same name which
    MM> allows to construct ff designs (via different specifications).
    MM> see e.g, http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/library/BHH2/html/ffDesMatrix.html

    BertG> In general, when dealing with complex designs of the sort you appear to be thinking
    BertG> about, small orthogonal designs don't exist. You
    BertG> might wish to look at the AlgDesign package to
    BertG> generate an efficient design to estimate only main
    BertG> effects.

    BertG> -- Bert Gunter Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
    BertG> South San Francisco, CA

    BertG> "The business of the statistician is to catalyze the
    BertG> scientific learning process."  - George E. P. Box

    MM> now, since you have this nice signature, maybe you should
    MM> get the above book? ;-) :-)

which was supposed to be something like a joke;
given my misreading of Bert's comment, I'm sorry about it.

I have no good excuse for my blunder:
  It was Saturday morning,
  I had slept well,
  had had a shower, coffee and breakfast, ...

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich