[R] Image Processing packages

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Mon Jan 23 14:07:45 CET 2006

Hello,

There are a couple of things for image processing in R (look at pixmap
and Rimage, for instance). However, R is *not* a good software for
processing images (nor is Matlab, Octave, IDL: they use to have specific
packages for image processing and analysis, but resulting applications
are way to slow in comparison to dedicated software).

A good approach is to mix ImageJ and R, if you are looking for an Open
Source solution. You could look at ZooImage for an example application
using these two software (analysis of digital zooplankton images, see:
http://www.sciviews.org/zooimage).

Best,

Philippe Grosjean