[R] Latest revision of lme4 requires 'Matrix' >= 0.995.2 but that version is not available on CRAN

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Jan 21 13:39:47 CET 2006

Søren Højsgaard <Soren.Hojsgaard at agrsci.dk> writes:

> I just updated the packages on my pc (windows xp). When loading lme4 I get
>
>  > library(lme4)
> Error: package 'Matrix' 0.995-1 was found, but >= 0.995.2 is required by 'lme4'
>
> 'Matrix'  0.995-1 is indeed installed on my computer, but
> update.packages() does not capture a never version; and seemingly
> for good reasons: When looking at CRAN, the new version of Matrix is
> available - but only as a .tar.gz archive.

Oh s.....

>Two questions
>
> 1) How can a new version of lme4 make its way to CRAN when the packages it depends on are not available (that is, in a zip-version)?

Looks like a buglet in Uwe's scripts. He has a check error on Matrix
0.995-2, but presumably it was actually built and loaded by lme4
0.995-2...

And of course the previous version of lme4 goes into the bit bucket
immediately.

lme4 0.995-1 file still exists on the DK mirror. I've put a copy for
you in the usual place, just in case.

> An answer could be: Buhh, you can just download the .tar.gz archive and then compile it yourself! Surely, that would be possible, but it can not be the intention...
>
> 2) When actually trying to compile Matrix, I get
>
> lmer.o(.text+0x285f):lmer.c: undefined reference to `atanh'
> make[3]: *** [Matrix.dll] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [srcDynlib] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [pkg-Matrix] Error 2
> *** Installation of Matrix failed ***
> Removing 'c:/programs/R/current/library/Matrix'
> Restoring previous 'c:/programs/R/current/library/Matrix'
>
> Can anyone help me on what to do???

This is not the same error that Uwe had (that was a clean compile but
error in the check phase), so upgrading to the latest version of the
build tools could be required.

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B