[R] abline() or predict.lm() when log="x"

Richard Chandler rchandler at forwild.umass.edu
Fri Jan 20 23:30:18 CET 2006

Thanks for the reply though I don't think your suggestion worked. I
have found a way to get the correct line though it is not
convenient.  Here is a better example:

x <- 1:100
y <- 1:100
plot(y ~ x, log="x")

#The only way I can get the correct line is to drop the log():
abline(lm(y ~ x), untf=T, lwd=2) #or
lines(x, predict(lm(y ~ x)), col=2)

#Neither of these work
abline(lm(y ~ log10(x))) #or
abline(lm(y ~ log10(x)), untf=T)

What I really would like to do is plot fitted lines and 95%
confidence intervals using predict.lm, as in shown in the example,
but when the predictor is log transformed and log="x". I can't figure
out how to do this without removing the log() from the response part
of the formula and this isn't helpful because I'm generally trying to
give predict() a fitted object rather than a lm() formula. I still
think I'm probably missing something simple but are there any other
suggestions? Thanks.

Richard

--
Richard Chandler, M.S. candidate
Department of Natural Resources Conservation