[R] some EPS rotated in journal preview

Knut Krueger admin at biostatistic.de
Fri Jan 20 19:53:30 CET 2006

Prof. Brian Ripley schrieb:

> The problem is a well-known one in viewers looking at whole pages,
> especially PS -> PDF converters.  R figures are particularly
> vulnerable as they have text running both horizontally and vertically
> (with normal axes).
>
> Please do follow exactly the advice on the postscript help page.
>
>      The postscript produced for a single R plot is EPS (_Encapsulated
>      PostScript_) compatible, and can be included into other documents,
>      e.g., into LaTeX, using '\includegraphics{<filename>}'.  For use
>      in this way you will probably want to set 'horizontal = FALSE,
>      onefile = FALSE, paper = "special"'.
>
> If you have done that, suggest to your publisher that they turn auto
> rotation off.

There are the reproducible codes (from the help file). The first one
with the long text is rotated the second is not rotated.
Seems that they rotate the page, if the text of the y-axes is longer
than the text of the x-axes.
Are you able to see any other reason for the rotation.
I will contact the journal again, if there is no other reason especially
of the R-code.

Regards
Knut Krueger.

postscript("c:/r/test/regline2.eps",horizontal = FALSE,onefile=FALSE,
paper = "special" ,pointsize=20,
        height=8,width=8,family = "Helvetica", font = "Helvetica")
     data(Davis)
     attach(Davis)
     mod.M<-lm(repwt~weight, subset=sex=="M")
     mod.F<-lm(repwt~weight, subset=sex=="F")
     plot(weight, repwt, pch=c(1,2)[sex],ylab="aaaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee
ffff",xlab="aaaa bbbb")

     reg.line(mod.M)
     reg.line(mod.F, lty=2)

dev.off()

postscript("c:/r/test/regline3.eps",horizontal = FALSE,onefile=FALSE,