[R] Possible improvement in lm

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 14:33:27 CET 2006

1. Try using

   lm(...whatever..., na.action = na.exclude)

2. Be sure to read the note on Using Time Series in ?lm

3. The dyn package will accept ts, irts, its and zoo class time series
and output time series for the residuals.  Just preface lm with dyn$.
e.g.

library(dyn)

# test data
set.seed(1)
x <- ts(1:10, start = 2000, freq = 4)
x[5] <- NA
y <- x + rnorm(10)

# regress series y against series x
y.lm <- dyn$lm(y ~ x)
resid(y.lm)  # note that residuals are a time series