[R] Font size of axis labels

Hilmar Berger hilmar.berger at imise.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Jan 17 12:05:43 CET 2006

Hi all,

In R, it is not possible to set the font size of axis labels directly
(AFAIK). Instead, scaling factors for the font chosen by the graphics
device can be supplied. It appears that there is no constant font size
for axis labels. My impression is that the axis label font size is
scaled internally by R depending on the number of labels given for an axis.

In addition to the R-internal scaling  I need to adjust the axis label
font size for label length and the size of other elements in the same
layout.

In order to use sensitive values for those externally supplied scaling
factors (cex) I would like to know how R scales axis font sizes internally.
Could someone point me to the method/file in the R-source code (R 2.1.1)
where this scaling is done ?

Thanks,
Hilmar
--