[R] Standardized beta-coefficients in regression

Peter Flom flom at ndri.org
Tue Jan 17 01:21:21 CET 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Dr. Walter H. Schreiber wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I am used to give a lot of attention to the standardized regression
> coefficients, which in SPSS are listed automatically.

>>> Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>  >>> replied

<<<
I do wonder why?  Most people I have encountered who do that are
interpreting them in invalid ways.

and

Yes, but why do you want one?  (You don't need summary, just coef, in
the
second line, and you also do not need an intercept.)  For a single
regressor as here, just cor(ctl, trt).

One reason might be that the American Psychological Ass'n requres them
for it's regression tables.  As to why the APA requires them, I couldn't
say,
but require them they do.

Peter