[R] lme output

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Mon Jan 16 18:07:43 CET 2006

I am trying to extract the solution from a simple lme calculation.

For example (the first 4 have a mean 0, sd 1):

> y<-c(-1.118,-.5,.5,1.118,10)
> gp<-factor(c(rep('one',4),'two'))
> res<-lme(y~1,rand=~1|gp)
Linear mixed-effects model fit by REML
  Data: NULL
  Log-restricted-likelihood: -8.67141
  Fixed: y ~ 1
(Intercept)
   4.962502

Random effects:
 Formula: ~1 | gp
        (Intercept)  Residual
StdDev:    7.026737 0.9999747

Number of Observations: 5
Number of Groups: 2

The problem is to get the random effects intercept - essentially the
between groups standard deviation - into a scalar.  I can't see anything
in the values from res.  The other values - fixed intercept and residual -
are clearly available - eg res$coeff$fixed is straight forward.

I would use lmer but this does not appear to return any values.

Can someone advise please?  I do recall having this problem some time ago
but that was with a much older version.  This is with R 2.2.1 and the
latest lme.

TIA

Best wishes

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at quantex-research.com              a.einstein at relativity.org
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com