[R] jointprior in deal package

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Jan 13 02:18:56 CET 2006

	  In case you haven't already solved this problem (I have seen no
replies to this post), I will offer a suggestion.  First, I've never
used the deal package.  I installed it and tried the example provided
with the documentation for "jointprior".  It seemed to return something
sensible -- certainly NOT an error message.

	  Have you considered making a local copy of "jointprior", then
invoking 'debug(jointprior)', then walking trough the function line by
line (as described in teh 'debug' documentation)?  If you do this, you
will find exactly the place the command that generates the error
message.  The 'debug' procedure also allows you to look at any object in
the local environment created by "jointprior".  By doing this, you might
get a better idea of the problem.

	  Another alternative would be to consider the differences between the
example provided with the documentation and your "tor.nw".  You may be
able to identify the problem from that.  If that failed, I would then
try to modify "tor.nw" to produce the simplest possible example I could
think of that would still produce the error message.  In the course of
doing that, you may be able to resolve the issue.  If not, if you send
your simplest possible example to this list, someone else might be able
to help you.

	  A reproducible example is nearly always easier to diagnose than a
relatively vague description like you provided.  To get an answer to the
question that you asked, (a) your question must reach someone who has
used the deal package and knows that specific error message and (b) that
person must have the time and interest to respond.  The probability of
that happening may be quite low.  By contrast, if you submit a toy
example that doesn't quite work, anyone interested in playing a few
minutes with the "deal" package can study your example and possibly take
it to the next step.

	  In general, I believe that providing a simple reproducible example
probably increases by a couple of orders of magnitude the odds of
receiving a useful answer quickly.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves