[R] CRAN versions of lme4/Matrix don't appear to work with R 2.1.1

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Jan 12 22:08:07 CET 2006

	  Did you try upgrading to R 2.2.1?  I just installed R 2.2.1 with the
latest version of "lme4" and "Matrix", and they loaded fine for me.
 > library(lme4)
 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.2.1, 2005-12-20, i386-pc-mingw32

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
[7] "base"

other attached packages:
      lme4   lattice    Matrix
  "0.98-1" "0.12-11"  "0.99-6"

	  Running Windows XP.  (This may be obvious from 'i386-pc-mingw23', but
I'm no sufficiently aware to know.)

	  Doug Bates has worked very hard to create this, and I for one would
not want to ask him to take the time to make it backward compatible for
those who for whatever reason haven't yet upgraded to R 2.2.1,
especially since for most of us it is fairly easy to upgrade.

	  Spencer Graves