[R] Problem with NLSYSTEMFIT()

Arne Henningsen ahenningsen at email.uni-kiel.de
Thu Jan 12 16:09:40 CET 2006

Dear Kilian,

On Thursday 12 January 2006 14:20, Kilian Plank wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I want to solve a nonlinear 3SLS problem with "nlsystemfit()". The
> equations
>
> are of the form
>
>             y_it = f_i(x,t,theta)
>
> The functions f_i(.) have to be formulated as R-functions. When invoking
>
> "nlsystemfit()" I get the error
>

> Error in deriv.formula(eqns[[i]], names(parmnames)) :
>
>         Function 'f1' is not in the derivatives table
>

> Isn't it possible to provide equations in the form
>
> eq1 ~ f1(x,t,theta) etc. to "nlsystemfit()" ?

Unfortunately, this is not (yet) possible. You have to specify your equations
like "eq1 <- y ~ b0 + x1^b1 + b1^2 * log( x2)" (see the documentation of
nlsystemfit). Furthermore, I suggest that you ask the author of nlsystemfit
(Jeff Hamann, see cc) how reliable the algorithms for the non-linear
estimation are in the current version of systemfit (while the code for the
linear estimation is very mature now, the non-linear estimation is still
under development). You are invited to help us improving the code of
nlsystemfit ;-)

Best wishes,
Arne

> Kind regards,