[R] Binary logistic modelling: setting conditions (defining thresholds) in the fitted model (lrm)

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Jan 11 16:10:34 CET 2006

Jan Verbesselt wrote:
> Dear Rlist,
>
> We are working with library(Design) & R 2.2.1//
> When using the following fitted model:
> 	knots  <- 5
> 	lrm.1        <- lrm(X8~rcs(X1,5),x=T,y=T)
>
> X8 (binary 0/1 vector)
> X1, X2 explantory variables
>
> We would like to set the probability of X8=1 to zero when the X2
> variable is smaller than a defined threshold,
> e.g. X2<50, because the X1 variable is not correct (contains more
> errors) anymore when X2<50.

Are you sure you want the prob(X8=1) to be zero or to you want to just
constrain the regression function to be of a certain form?  And keep in
mind that if the measurement errors are moderate or better it is usually
  better to use the variable in its original form because otherwise real
predictive information is lost.

Frank