[R] "Missing value representation in Excel before - solved in a way- summary"

Fredrik Lundgren fredrik.bg.lundgren at bredband.net
Tue Jan 10 23:01:43 CET 2006

Thanks to Leif Kirschenbaum, Brian Ripley and Petr Pikal,

who helped with this problem. Unfortunately it appears as if the problem
with columns beginning with NAs is deeply connected to Microsoft ODBC
DLL's automatic determination of column type based on the contents of
the first N rows of each column and further that this behaviour can't be
reliably tweaked so that RODBC can function with every file.xls. Until
the Microsoft ODBC DLL is fixed I will have to use read.table from
'textfile' or 'clipboard' or Gregory Warnes read.xls in package 'gdata'.
All three methods have worked OK (inspite of some minor formatting
aspects of dateformats) even with this tricky file.

Fredrik