[R] Working with R in a multi-processor machine.

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Jan 10 18:16:20 CET 2006

R is not thread safe, so you must not use it in a
re-entrant way.

If you want to exploit multiple processors, you can write code (e.g.,
in C) called from R (e.g., through .Call or .C) that performs
parallel/threaded computations in a thread-safe way (e.g., without
calling back into R).

Another possibility is to replace the BLAS/LAPACK library with a
thread-safe version. This provides a boost to those R algorithms
exploiting these libraries. Haven't done this myself, but there is
some info in this post

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2005-December/035695.html

Hope that helps,

Martin