[R] "Missing value representation in Excel before extraction to R with RODBC"

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Jan 10 10:08:30 CET 2006

Hi

I tried to reproduce what you have told us by copy and paste

read.delim("clipboard")

but was not successful.

Even with several blank values in each column in Excel i got correct
import to R by this process. As I do not use RODBC I do not know all
possible settings and features. If colClasses is available you can
force the columns to by character, numeric, factor, Date or some
other class.

BTW Excel can be quite tricky and hides e.g. spaces in cells so you
see them as empty even if they are not. So if I get some weird
conversions of numeric columns there is often something hidden in
Excel.

HTH
Petr