[R] Wikis etc.

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Jan 9 16:46:18 CET 2006

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Michael Dewey wrote:

> Further to that I feel that (perhaps because they do not like to blow their
> own trumpet too much) the authors of books on R do not stress how much most
> questioners could gain by buying and reading at least one of the many books
> on R. When I started I found the free documents useful but I made most
> progress when I bought MASS. I do realise that liking books is a bit last
> millennium.

Very late last millenium, though.
"When I were young[er] we didn't have all these fancy yellow books."

More seriously, yes, reading books about R and S is very effective and is
how most of the R experts learned.  In my case it was the Blue Book, the
White Book, and the Ripley/Venables/Smith notes on S-plus (which have
evolved to the Introduction to R).

 	-thomas

"Ptolemy once asked [Euclid] if there was in geometry any shorter way that
that of the Elements, and he replied that there was no royal road to
geometry." Proclus (410-485 CE)