[R] A comment about R:

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Jan 9 00:48:14 CET 2006

[Uwe Ligges]
>François Pinard wrote:
>>[David Forrest]

>>>[...] A few end-to-end tutorials on some interesting analyses would
>>>be helpful.

>>I'm in the process of learning R.  While tutorials are undoubtedly
>>very useful, and understanding that working and studying methods vary
>>between individuals, what I (for one) would like to have is a fairly
>>complete reference manual to the library [...] organised by topics.

>Have a look at  help.start() --> Search Engine & Keywords --> Section
>"Keywords by Topic".

Yes, thanks.  This is quite in the spirit, or direction, of what I was
proposing.  Is that resource exhaustive?  (I'm asking out of laziness,
as it might take me several months to really check.)

One serious drawback (for me) is that it requires an heavy weight
browser to be used, with Javascript enabled.  I do not find this very
practical.  Another point is that the presentation, while useful, is a
rather dry.  In another message, I suggested the "Emacs Lisp Reference
Manual" as a good example of a fluid presentation of a voluminous
library.  There might be some workable compromise between the current
situation with R, even through the "Keywords by Topic", and that
fluidity.  (Wikis also have the drawback of requiring heavy machinery,
and the editor they force us into if usually unbearable.)

I may be back with this subject, but only in a good while.  I'm slowly
building a kind of documentation plan I want (yet in French), as I learn
R, and guess I may complete my base learning in one or two years from
now (hoping I'll stay courageous enough).  If I then get something
usable or shareable enough, I'll offer it -- because I like returning
a little something for the nice tools given to me!  :-)

                                In any case, thanks for listening!

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca