[R] packages and tex files

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sun Jan 8 14:52:33 CET 2006

Erin Hodgess wrote:

> Dear R People:
>
> I am trying to build a package (yet again!)
>
> I have both PCTex and WinEdt.  I want the *.tex files to use WinEdt.

Erin,

please check the R Installation and Administration manual on how to set
up a working environment to build and install packages.
I don't know PCTex, it is not mentioned in the manual cited above, hence
it might not work without some hiccups.

You do not need to care about .tex files, they are produced and
afterwards compiled into the appropriate format automatically from .Rd
files by the R tools. I have looked into the produced tex files only in
very rare circumstances where some debugging of Rd files was required.

Or do you want to edit the Rd files in WinEdt? Then, I recommend to set
up WinEdt appropriately to handle them in the same manner as LaTeX files.

> How should I set that, please?  Just in the path?

You LaTeX binaries must be in the path (but probably they already are ...).

> Also, where would I get Rd.sty, please?

The supported LaTeX distributions are told to look into the right place
by the R CMD tools. And this is: path-to-R/share/texmf/Rd.sty

Uwe Ligges