[R] Wikis etc.

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jan 7 19:25:13 CET 2006

On 7 January 2006 at 10:15, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
| The difficulty is getting it going.

Right. Which goes along with 'needs official endorsement'.  Debian recently
moved a more-or-less grassroots wiki to an official domain of the project,
and for the last few days I have been hitting

	http://wiki.debian.org/RecentChanges

frequently just to see what's happening. And it's brisk. It seems to have
take off. Debian has the same problem of list that have too many posts (and a
much lower signal/noise ratio that r-help) so this is welcome addition as a
means of communication and information store.

Yet the 'no silver bullet' rule still holds. There isn't one media to suit
everybody. Some prefer a list as list, some as digest, some channelled as a
news group, some read it via Gmane over the web, some read the rss feed. This
will offer another option, but we all will have to work jointly at it.

So my $0.02 would be to a) go for it, if possible but b) make it visible, and
closely tied to R Core / CRAN / R News / ....  Which poses the chicken/egg
problem of people running out of spare time to setup, admin, monitor,
hand-hold the wiki, its database, watch out for spammers, etc.  Volunteers to
do this, and maybe help Jon Baron on a first run using TWiki?

Regards, Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison