[R] Generating raster simulations

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Jan 7 17:18:45 CET 2006

Steven K Friedman wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to find a function to generate a random landscape consisting of x
> by y cells, allows a specification of number of classes and their
> proportional abundance in the landscape.
>
> Does R support such a function ?

1. I do not know.

2. A look at the many packages on spatial statistics might reveal some
already existing packages.

3. Question: Can one cell contain more than one object (e.g. objects of
two different classes)? Ideas:
  - If "No": sample() and make a matrix
  - If "Yes": sample() a logical matrix in for each class and make an
array, if there are not too many classes.

Uwe Ligges