[R] ouml in an .Rd

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Fri Jan 6 21:46:10 CET 2006

I am trying to put an ouml in an .Rd file with no success. Writing R
Extensions suggests:

Text which might need to be represented differently in different
encodings should be marked by |\enc|, e.g. |\enc{Jöreskog}{Joreskog}|
where the first argument will be used where encodings are allowed and
the second should be ASCII (and is used for e.g. the text conversion).

(Above may get mangled by the mail.) I have tried variations

   \enc{J"oreskog}{Joreskog}
   \enc{J\"oreskog}{Joreskog}
   \enc{Jo\"reskog}{Joreskog}
   \enc{Jo\"reskog}{Joreskog}
   \enc{J\"{o}reskog}{Joreskog}
   \enc{J\\"{o}reskog}{Joreskog}
   \enc{Jöoreskog}{Joreskog}

all with no effect on the generated pdf file.  Suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Gilbert