[R] help with strip.default

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Jan 6 17:48:38 CET 2006

Steve:

This is a question for **super Deepayan,** and hopefully he'll respond.

However, in the interim, let me give it a shot. Basically, I think what
you've asked for falls outside the bounds of what lattice is designed to do.
But I think there's a simple way to fool it. Basically what you need to do
is to combine your two factors into one with level names and ordering as you
want. See ?factor (?ordered may also be useful, but you don't need it). For
example:

comb.factor=factor(paste(A,B,sep='.'))

As I said, you may have to reorder the levels from the default that factor()
gives you to get your panels to display the way you want. Also see the
perm.cond and index.cond arguments of xyplot, which might also suffice for
that purpose.

Again, Deepayan will hopefully suggest a cleverer way that I missed. But I
think this approach will get you what you want.

Cheers,
Bert

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box