[R] ylim problem in barplot

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 6 12:34:38 CET 2006

    Ben> Robert Baer <rbaer <at> atsu.edu> writes:
    >> Well, consider this example:
    >> barplot(c(-200,300,-250,350),ylim=c(-99,400))
    >>
    >> It seems that barplot uses ylim and pretty to decide things about the axis
    >> but does some slightly unexpected things with the bars themselves that are
    >> not just at the 'zero' end of the bar.
    >>
    >> Rob

no, there's no pretty() involved.
Maybe it helps you to just type box()
after the plot.  Simply, the usual par("mar") margins are set.

I think ___in conclusion___  that Marc Schwartz'  solution has been
right on target all along:

The real "problem" of barplot.default() is the fact that
'xpd = TRUE' is the default, and AFAIK that's not the case
for other high-level plot functions.

One could debate if the default setting for xpd should not be changed to

   xpd = (is.null(ylim) && !horiz) || (is.null(xlim) && horiz)

Now this has definitely gotten a topic for R-devel, and not
R-help anymore.