[R] Generic Functions

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Jan 5 22:28:15 CET 2006

Briefly, S4 classes and methods are entirely different -- and often do not
comfortably coexist with -- the older S3 class/method system (which really
isn't, since the classes of the objects aren't really guaranteed as one
would expect).

Probably the best place to learn about S4 is The Green Book (Chambers:
PROGRAMMING WITH DATA). Also you can load the "methods" package and type
?Methods for a shorter overview. See also ?setClass.

S4 provides a lot better control and encapsulation than S3, but it also
makes considerably greater demands of the programmer. You can decide whether
you think the tradeoff is justified for your work.

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box