[R] Suggestion for big files [was: Re: A comment about R:]

Kort, Eric Eric.Kort at vai.org
Thu Jan 5 17:09:47 CET 2006

Since I often work with images and other large data sets, I have been thinking about a "BLOb" (binary large object--though it wouldn't necessarily have to be binary) package for R--one that would handle I/O for such creatures and only bring as much data into the R space as was actually needed.

So I see 3 possibilities:

1. The sort of functionality you describe is implemented in the R internals (by people other than me).
2. Some individuals (perhaps myself included) write such a package.
3. This thread fizzles out and we do nothing.

I guess I will see what, if any, discussion ensues from this point to see which of these three options seems worth pursuing.