[R] A comment about R:

Milos Zarkovic mzarkov at EUnet.yu
Wed Jan 4 23:31:34 CET 2006

I am just beginning to use R. And I am just clinical endocrinologist, not
statistician.

R is definitively not for casual user. Learning curve is very steep and
previous experience in programming is essential. Therefore, some kind of
menu system is extremely useful. I use combination of R-Commander and
SciViews which is good, but some more functionality would be nice. On the
other hand, function returning an object is great, as is simultaneous
presence of multiple data sets.

Introductory documentation is excellent, both in electronic and paper form
(books by Verzani, Dalgaard, Venables et al, Maindonald etc - not to forget
Zoonekynd and The R Graph Gallery). However, package documentation is
consistently cryptic (written for experts?)  - examples with explanations
would be nice. I believe that database of packages and methods would help to
find appropriate package.

This list is impressive. People are knowledgable, opinionated, ready to help
and to flame you for asking elementary question or asking how to use type
III SSQ. So, speak softly and carry a beagle. Seriously, sometimes it would
be quicker just to give an answer, than to flame a poor soul.

Milos Zarkovic

Milos Zarkovic MD, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Internal Medicine
Institute of Endocrinology
Dr Subotica 13
11000 Beograd
Serbia