[R] bwplot reorder factor on y axis

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 4 21:18:12 CET 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Michael Kubovy wrote:

> In bwplot(pairL ~ asym, oppK) is a factor. It displays pairL in
> alphabetical order. How do I tell it to display, pairL in the order I
> wish , i.e., so the medians of asym are in ascending order?

Actually, it displays pairL in the order of its levels. Trellis for S came
with a function reorder.factor to re-order the levels, and base R has it
too.  There is a very similar example on ?reorder.  More generally, see
?levels

(There are other reorder.factor functions in Hmisc and gdata, which you
may need to avoid.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk