[R] A comment about R:

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Jan 4 18:47:11 CET 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Roger Bivand wrote:
> > Could I ask for comments on:
> >
> > source(url("http://spatial.nhh.no/R/etc/capabilities.R"), echo=TRUE)
> >
> > as a reproduction of the Stata capabilities session? Both the t test and
> > the chi-square from our side point up oddities. I didn't succeed on
> > putting fit lines on a grouped xyplot, so backed out to base graphics.
> > This could be Swoven, possibly using the RweaveHTML driver.
> >

> Personally, I would have used with() for some of these, eg
>
> with(auto, table(rep78, foreign))
> with(auto, chisq.test(table(rep78, foreign)))

Thanks. For Windows users (sorry, I only checked on Linux), a new version
of capabilities.R is now available adding the mode="wb" flag to
download.file() - the absence of the flag was corrupting the saving of the
auto.dta file, because it was not being saved as binary - it is now,
checked under R 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 patched under Windows XP.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no