[R] Putting an object in to a function that calls the current function

Ales Ziberna aleszib at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 15:14:25 CET 2006

Hello!

I would like to put an object in to a function that calls the current
function.

I thought the answer will be clear to me after reading the help files:
?assign
?sys.parent

However it is not.
Here is an example I thought should work, however it dose not exactly:

f<-function(){s();print(a)}
s<-function()assign(x="a",value="ok",pos=sys.parent())
f() #I want to get "ok"
a #I do not want "a" in global enviorment, so here I should get
#Error: Object "a" not found
ff<-function()f() #here I also want to get "ok" - it should not matter if
the parent fuction has any parents

Thank you in advance for suggestions!

Ales Ziberna