[R] Problems with updating R-packages

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Mon Jan 2 22:15:52 CET 2006

On 01/02/06 21:56, Petar Milin wrote:
> Thanks to the detailed help with previous error message, I managed to
> update Design package. However, when I tried to update Matrix and lme4 I
> received an error message again:
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lblas-3
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make: *** [Matrix.so] Error 1
> > ERROR: compilation failed for package 'Matrix'
> > ** Removing '/usr/lib/R/site-library/Matrix'
> > ** Restoring previous '/usr/lib/R/site-library/Matrix'
>
> When I tried to search for lblas-3, following instruction of professor
> Jonathan Baron, Dirk Eddelbuettel and Martin Maechler, I could not find
> it.
> With:
> > dpkg -S lblas-3
> and
> > dpkg -S *-lblas-3*
> I received:
> > dpkg: *-lblas-3* not found.

Well, the other thing you can try, which I should have mentioned,
is RSiteSearch("cannot find lblas-3"), or something like that, or
go to http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu.

Apparently you aren't the only one to have this particular
problem, and the way to a solution is given in several replies to
earlier messages in this list.  I cannot understand them because
they are all specific to Debian.  Do you have blas installed?  (I
can't believe you got very far without it, though.)

Jon
Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron