[R] An embarrassment of riches

Thomas L Jones DrJones at alum.MIT.edu
Mon Jan 2 09:55:29 CET 2006

I have a dataset which I am trying to smooth, using locally weighted
regression. The y values are count data, integers with Poisson
distribution, and it is important for the regression function to know
this, since assuming a Gaussian distribution will lead to substantial
errors. It is a time series; the x values have equal five minute
intervals.

Here is the problem: I have an embarrassment of riches. Unless I am
mistaken, the following R packages will do this: locfit, aws, sm, gss,
semipar, pgam, gregmisc, to name just a few. Questions: Which package
should I use, and which function in the package should I use for the
regression?

Here is the Google search result, restricted to r-project.org:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=locally+weighted+poisson+regression&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=r-project.org&as_rights=&safe=images

If the above hyperlink does not work, please try
http://tinyurl.com/exw7e

Doc