[R] R] lme X lmer results

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Mon Jan 2 01:16:56 CET 2006

 From a quick look at the paper in the SAS proceedings, the simulations
seem limited to nested designs.  The major problems are with repeated
measures designs where the error structure is not compound symmetric,
which lme4 does not at present handle (unless I have missed something).
Such imbalance as was investigated was not a serious issue, at least for
the Kenward and Roger degree of freedom calculations.

The paper ends by commenting that "research should continue".  What
may be even more important is to educate users to think carefully about
any df that they are presented with, and to be especially sceptical when
designs are not approximately balanced nested designs and/or there are
repeated measures error structures that are not compound symmetric.

It is also necessary to consider how well the analysis reflects matters
on which there may be existing good evidence. Suppose in Ronaldo's
case that he'd previously run a number of experiments with very similar
plots and observation al units, and with comparable treatments and
outcome measures. If the plot 1 SD estimate (i.e., at the level of
experimental units) had never been larger than 0.01, with the SD for
observational units always in a range of 2 to 20, I'd take this as
licence
to ignore the variance at the plot 1 level.  It would be nice to be
able to
build in such prior information more formally, probably via a modified
version of mcmcsamp().

[Some people are never satisfied, You've written a great piece of
software, and users reward you by complaining that they want even
more!]

John Maindonald.