[R] any more direct-search optimization method in R

Weijie Cai wcai11 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:48:32 CET 2006

Hello list,

I am dealing with a noisy function (gradient,hessian not available) with
simple boundary constraints (x_i>0). I've tried constrOptim() using nelder
mead to minimize it but it is way too slow and the returned results are not
satisfying. simulated annealing is so hard to tune and it always crashes R
program in my case. I wonder if there are any packages or functions can do
direct search optimization?

A rough search in literature shows multidirectional search and DIRECT
algorithm may help. Is there any other satisfying algorithm?

Thanks,
WC