[R] Illegal Instruction

David Pleydell d_pleydell at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 11:47:13 CET 2006

I am running Debian Etch on a dual Xeon 64 bit Dell
Precision with the latest versions of R and
RandomFields.

I am unable to run the first example in ?GaussRF (in
RandomFields).

The bug occurs when GaussRF runs the line

error <- InitSimulateRF(x = x, y = y, z = z, T = T,
grid = grid, model = model, param = param, trend =
trend, method = method, register = register,
gridtriple = gridtriple, distribution = "Gauss")

This line crashes down the R session with the message
"Illegal Instruction".

I re-started R using R -d gdb and retried the example,
the crash message was now

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0x00002aaaab31d6af in ATL_dJIK56x56x56TN56x56x0_a1_b0
()
   from /usr/lib/atlas/libblas.so.3

I then reinstalled atlas3-base, refblas3, and lapack3
from the sid repository. But this failled to improve
matters.

What should I try next?

David