[R] R and marine protected areas: algorithms for site selection

Rich Grenyer grenyer at virginia.edu
Fri Feb 24 21:46:53 CET 2006

Hi - I looked briefly a little while ago for R interaction with linear
programming tools. There is limited support for the lp_solve solver
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/lpsolve) in the package lpSolve, but
it doesn't give full access to the external solver's capabilities.
Other than that, you may want to look at the Gnu Linear Programming Kit
(http://www.gnu.org/software/glpk/glpk.html) and MathProg or Zimpl
(http://www.zib.de/koch/zimpl/), and be prepared to get R to write text
files that can then be run externally. Ugly, but you may get somewhere.

If you find anything better that integrates R and linear programming,
I'd be interested to hear about it.

Regards,

Rich

> Dear listers,
>
> a central problem in conservation biology is the selection of sites in
> reserve network design.
> many algorithms have been published, and I was wondering any have been
> implemented in R.
> I did not seen anything on CRAN or R-help, or on the web in general.
>
> Best regards, Eric
>
> Eric Pante

Rich Grenyer, Ph.D.
Biology Department - University of Virginia
Gilmer Hall
Charlottesville, Virginia
VA 22904
United States of America