[R] Changing the x-axis labels in plot()

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 16:35:22 CET 2006

Hopefully this one isn't in the manual or I am about to get shot :-S

One of my colleagues wants a slightly strange graph.  We basically have
a data matrix, and she wants to plot, for each row, the values in the
row as points on the graph.  The following code draws the graph just

So as there are 12 rows in my matrix, there are 12 columns of points,
which is what she wants.

However, she wants the x-axis labelled with the row names, not with
1,2,3,4,5 etc

I can figure out from reading par() how to turn off the default drawing
of the numerical labels, but how do I use the row names instead?