[R] Degree of freedom for contrast t-tests in lme

Søren Højsgaard Soren.Hojsgaard at agrsci.dk
Thu Feb 23 01:56:42 CET 2006

I think this happens because degrees of freedom in lme are calculated using the "containment" method (see documentation to proc mixed in SAS if you don't know the method).

Formally this means that the t-tests are "wrong" for (most) unbalanced designs.

However, if the sample sizes are not too small this should not be to much of a problem because the t-distribution quickly comes to resemble the normal, and if sample sizes are small one may wonder whether it makes sense to make the t-tests anyway. (The validity of a t-test on, say, 4 dfs relies heavily on data being normal whereas a t-test on 14 dfs does not - because of central limit theorems).

As I've understood Douglas Bates (who made lme), he finds that those df-issues are not the most important issues in statistics, so lme might not change drastically in that respect...

It would, however, be nice to have methods in lme which could deal with this problem. One option would be that *somebody* implement Kenward/Rogers and/or Satterthwaites and/or related methods for estimating the degrees of freedom. Another possibility is to base the tests on Monte Carlo p-values...

Best regards
Søren