[R] How to Import Data

Carl Klarner cklarner at isugw.indstate.edu
Tue Feb 21 14:52:04 CET 2006

Hello,
I am a very new user of R.  I've spent several hours trying to import
data, so I feel okay asking the list for help.  I had an Excel file,
then I turned it into a "csv" file, as instructed by directions.  My
filename is "x111.csv."  I then used the following commands to read this
(fairly small) dataset in.

x111 <-read.table(file='x111.csv',
sep="",header=T,
quote="",comment.char="",as.is=T)

I then get the following error message.

Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open file 'x111.csv', reason 'No such file or directory'

I would imagine I'm not putting my csv file in the right location for R
to be able to read it.  If that's the case, where should I put it?  Or
is there something else I need to do to it first?
Thanks for your help,
Carl