[R] RMySQL Error Messages, crashing R

Jason Horn jhorn at bu.edu
Mon Feb 20 14:09:49 CET 2006

Phil,

Thanks for the tip.  I have tried rebuilding the RMySQL library, but
it always fails.  When I run:

R CMD INSTALL --configure-args='--with-mysql-inc=/usr/local/mysql/
include --with-mysql-lib=/usr/local/mysql/lib' /Users/jason/Desktop/
RMySQL_0.5-7.tar.gz.tar

I get ...

gcc-3.3 -bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -L/usr/local/lib -
o RMySQL.so RS-DBI.o RS-MySQL.o -L/usr/local/mysql/lib -lmysqlclient -
lz -lcc_dynamic -F/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/.. -framework R
ld: can't locate file for: -lcc_dynamic
make: *** [RMySQL.so] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'RMySQL'

The MySQL that I have is 5.0.18 that I downloaded as a binary
directly from mysql.com.  Is your mySQL installation from elsewhere?
What do you mean "...that I installed through port."

It sounds like you have everything working.  What commands did you
use to get mySQL 5 installed?  To get  RMySQL compiled?  Any help
here is appreciated. I am heavily dependent on R working with mySQL
for my project.

Thanks,

- Jason