[R] Linux Distribution Choice

jon butchar butchar.2 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 20 02:56:22 CET 2006

On Sunday 19 February 2006 10:59, Graham Smith wrote:
> I am making some tentative steps into using Linux (Mandriva at the moment)
> and notice that not all the Linux binaries on CRAN are the latest release.
>
> As R (plus Grass) will be key programs for me on Linux, is there a
> preferred Linux distribution that people in the R communiuty use?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Graham
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

As others stated, much depends on what you're comfortable using on a long-term
basis and that can depend on several things.

With Linux, I gravitated towards Gentoo simply because the "portage" system
made updating very easy.

You could also look into FreeBSD (http://www.freebsd.org).  It's a mature,
very well put together operating system (also my personal choice), and the R
port is usually kept up to date.

Best of luck,

jon